What is an SR-22?

SR22 is a document often required by a state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) proving that a driver is carrying the state’s required minimum amount of vehicle liability insurance.

An SR22 may be required for the following situations:

Unsatisfied Judgments
Major Convictions
License Suspensions
No Insurance Violations
No insurance at the time of an accident
Drivers who do not own a vehicle but still wish to reinstate their driving privileges may need to provide non-owner SR22 policy.

Do I need a Washington SR-22?
Six states – Delaware, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania – do not require SR22 insurance. If a driver is required to carry SR22 and he or she moves to one of these six states, they must still continue to meet the requirements legally mandated by their former state.

All vehicles in Washington must carry a minimum liability insurance policy. If a Washington driver has his or her license suspended, the driver must provide proof of financial responsibility by filing an SR22. This SR22 will certify the driver has the minimum amount of liability insurance for a certain period of time.

We Know the Washington SR22 Laws
Washington drivers are required to carry liability limits of at least $25,000 bodily injury per person, $50,000 bodily injury per accident, and $10,000 property damage.

Washington requires that an SR-22 endorsement be carried for thirty-six (36) consecutive months. If the policy is not renewed at least fifteen (15) days prior to expiration, a letter will be sent to the state, resulting in suspension of the driver’s license. Once the policy has been renewed, the state will reinstate the driver’s license. It is highly recommended that the insured renew their policy at least forty-five (45) days ahead of time.

There are two (2) ways to avoid having to obtain an SR-22 endorsement. A driver can make a deposit of $60,000 to the State Treasurer or obtain a surety bond through a surety company such as Vern Fonk that is licensed to do business in Washington and Oregon.

(509) 325-7350


We Ensure You’re Fully Protected